Here’s what 3 years of running a business looks like… and why I’m taking time to “stop and smell the roses”.
They say that “time flies when you’re having fun”. I can tell you with absolute certainty, that this phrase rings true as the co-founder of Plexus Media. There’s also another phrase that applies when you’re busy day-to-day as a business owner and it’s that you ha
ve to take time to “stop and smell the roses”.
Plexus, I’m sorry I forgot our anniversary!
After a whirlwind few months of business meetings, deliverable completion, and travel, I finally stopped to glance at my desktop calendar. I was shocked to realize that it had been 3 years since I’d founded Plexus Media. That’s right, 3 entire years! And I realized, that as a marketing professional who loves numbers, I’d let myself down.
It’s been 3 years and I haven’t so much as stopped to think about what my team and I had accomplished in that time. From starting a business ground up on day 1 to today… how far we have come.
And so, this long overdue post is a celebration of my business, my team, my clients, and my network that has helped it all happen. It took me 3 years to stop and smell the roses… but this is me, stopping (if only for a moment).
Who and what is Plexus Media?
If you’re unfamiliar with Plexus Media, our company was founded in 2016 to provide a better way for businesses to increase their digital footprint and generate business opportunities. In terms of strategy, Plexus has always employed a lattice approach to marketing with the aim of providing innovative marketing and communications tactics. Today, Plexus focuses most of our marketing programs on retail investor lead generation and public company communications strategies. However, we also have other clients on board with unique marketing and communications needs as well.
To date, the Plexus team has completed hundreds of projects for dozens of public and private clients. These clients span sectors that include pharmaceutical, cannabis, technology, telecommunications, healthcare, and more.
A few of our current marketing and communications tactics include:
- Educational and newsworthy content to tell a company’s story and gain publications’/search engines’ attention.
- Retargeting campaigns on LinkedIn, Google, Yahoo Finance, and more to generate investor leads for an internal team to convert.
- Press releases to keep a company top-of-mind with investors and finance professionals.
- Social posts to engage with a target audience in the social conversation.
- Videos and infographics production to catch an audience’s attention.
- Monthly IR newsletter to provide a steady flow of communications.
- Publication and social group management to maximize traction and optimize a company’s advertising spend.
- Investor deck design and other collateral to showcase a company’s business profile, vision, and investment opportunity.
- Investment-specialized website development to successfully capture and retarget investor leads for future communications.
So — what kinds of numbers do 3 years generate?
As a numbers geek, I naturally tend to look for the statistics. Impressions, click rates, conversion rates… these are the things that get my (geeky) pulse moving!
Here’s a snapshot of a few of our major successes so far:
- Successful completion of over 110 client campaigns.
- Service provided to over 50 clients and global brands (public and private).
- 12,000+ unique pieces of content developed on our client’s behalf.
- Created a database of over 320,000 retail investors across North America.
Our wackiest business projects so far?
Beyond our firm day-to-day operations, my team has completed some wacky and totally awesome client projects thus far. Just as with any other business, we’re open to pushing the boundaries… and there’s been a few projects that we look back on and think, did we really do that?
- Developing a fully operational rewards app for a cannabis brand (picture, Starbucks Rewards but for vape pens and edibles).
- Hosting a live and interactive digital webcast event featuring a CEO and hundreds of investor attendees.
- Completing a massive monthly program of 100 unique and diverse content pieces for a single client
Vowing to celebrate the wins more often…
As a business owner involved in all facets of your company, it’s hard enough to wear matching dress socks some days. You’re running from meeting to meeting every day, and taking calls in the Uber on the way there. But, it’s so important to reflect on yours and your team’s successes. No matter how small they are, they matter. There are days where you think you couldn’t possibly add another task onto your already overloaded plate, but trust me, this one is worth it. When you started on day 1, and you began your company from the ground up, it wasn’t meant to become a backburner project to client and operational needs.
Taking a snapshot of your company, understanding what has worked and what hasn’t, and taking the time to appreciate every minute of it… that’s why you started this journey in the first place. Without taking time to “stop and smell the roses”, you can’t possibly know how to continue to expand the current rose garden that you already have.
So, this is me, vowing to never again allow myself to pass by celebrating the anniversary of Plexus. When it comes to reflecting on our business successes, I will always take the time to “stop and smell the roses”.